Thursday, December 10, 2009

Why I Love Rebates

I have a confession--I am a total rebate fan. While most people avoid them because they think they are a hassle to do--save receipts, fill out forms, cut UPCs, mail in everything, and wait...and wait for the check to arrive--I love them. Let me tell you why...

When I find something that I will use that has a rebate with it, I will buy the item. Now I do have to spend some money to get it. I just figure that cost into my monthly food/household budget so I don't overspend. Then when I get home, I directly sit down and fill out the paperwork and get it in it's envelope, sealed, stamped and ready to go. (If you say you'll do it later, most times you will just forget about it, that's why I like to do mine right away). Now here's the part I love...getting those checks in the mail. Yes, some may only be for $1-$2, but others can be $10 or $20. Since I had already budgeted for the cost of buying those items, the rebate is sort of like free money. I put all my rebate money in a special drawer, saving it up until I have enough for a big-ticket item that I've had my eye on.

That brings me to my oh-so-exciting news. I did it--I saved and saved all those rebate checks since the beginning of 2009 when I started doing rebates more actively, and finally had enough to go get a small chest freezer that I have been wanting for quite some time. It is small, but the perfect size for us and our small apartment right now. I've already put it to good use making double or triple amounts of meals and freezing portions of it to have on hand for those days that I don't have a lot of time to cook. It is already making life a little easier. (and did I mention that it also came with a $10 mail in rebate to get me started on my next round of saving?!)

Thank you Mail-in-Rebates!! You are worth the time and cost of the stamp to me.

(Hmm...what to save for next...how about a wheat grinder. Yep, sounds like a good plan to me!)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, save for a wheat grinder next :) And what a great idea to save those rebate checks for a great purchase like that. I always just spend the money or put it back into my budget, but I'm going to start saving my money now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the economy the way it is everyone is looking for ways to save money and get cash rebates. Saving money is the best part in investing. I think wheat grinder is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin,
    I represent a company that provides rebates for some the world's top brands. Thanks so much for your post. We would like to include some of your public comments posted here in an upcoming press release. Would you contact me at erin at fletchergroupllc.com? I would love to tell you more. Thanks again for your story.

    ReplyDelete